Monday, March 28, 2005

Presentation Critique

The person that I had to write on was Elizabeth Tan. I feel that she did an excellent job on her presentation of the BAM. It was very informative and interesting. She did good detective work with finding out the extra little pieces of information on the typography of the building. She found out the origins of the idea of "cut off" letters even though the information wasn't easily obtainable. She also explored the building and realized that the BAM went through a branding crisis where different typefaces can be seen around the building. The photo that had a lasting effect on me was the one that she took on the side of the bam building. It was BAM engraved in some kind of sans serif font. When I saw that photo I just kept thinking how could they even consider this type face as an option. I just found it to look a bit childish for the BAM. Overall, Elizabeth did a great amount of research for the presentation, hit a couple of key points and was very well organized. The only suggestion that I have is for her to keep up the good work!

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thank you for your generosity. I'm glad you found the presentation to be informative and interesting. I was rather intrigued myself when I first learned all the information regarding my topic. I'm happy I was able to share it with everyone else.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I would agree that Elizabeth's presentation was excellent. The "branding" of the Brooklyn Academy of Music is a really good example of the power of graphic design to build an institution's profile. Imagine Harvey Lichtenstein in the late 70's, early 80s trying to get people to come out to Brooklyn from Manhattan and pay top dollar to see contemporary theater and dance. Two really key elements in that campaign were renaming it BAM (like MoMA) and developing that distinctive look to all of their graphics. A great reminder that it isn't just consumer products that benefit from marketing.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home